Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 16, Friday: Samsung d'light exhibition hall, KPOP dance class, Miso performance, and fish spa

This was the last day of any normal activities for the CIEE trip.  Tomorrow will be the closing ceremony and free time, and then the plane ride home.  But there was a lot of memorable experiences today!

We woke up and headed to the Samsung d'light exhibition hall, which was in Gangnam, in the southeast area of Seoul.  Many people will obviously recognize it from Gangnam style, in which Psy, I believe, is making fun of the area...  It's mainly a rich business district.  Like Manhattan or something.  Anyway, the exhibition hall had a lot of interesting samsung products and different technology's.  There was a large Augmented reality dance floor, many computers and cell phones etc.  One of the things that stood out to me the most was their 82 In. 4K resolution TV.  It had absolutely amazing resolution, better then real life (haha).  The only downside is the cost: 40 million won, or $40,000.  They also had some interesting school based tablets, that interacted with the teacher and seemed really nice.






There was also a really nice LED light cage, which could be manipulated from a wall sensor.  From working with LED lights in robotics, I know that it's actually pretty difficult to do this....



After spending about an hour and a half here, we traveled a few minutes the BBoys theater to learn a KPOP dance.  It was... an interesting experience.  I don't have a video of ourselves yet, but I can put up a video of the actual song and the actual, non BUTCHERED, dance.  hehe.




It's pretty catchy.

Next, we went to the MISO theater performance.  It was a musical about a love triangle, and it turned out to be really really good.  Special effects, and really nice dances.  No cameras were allowed, but
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=622552



From here, there was free time.  A lot of the others wanted to go and try live octopus, and I really wanted to film it, so we went.  It was pretty interesting.  You have to buy $70 worth of octopus at the time, which wasn't a problem with 15 people, but when they served the octopus (still squirming on the plate) it was on two HUGE platters.  It became apparent pretty quickly that the 9 people who actually wanted to try it were not going to be able to eat everything, so all the people who had come to take pictures had to try some...  I had about 4 pieces, it really wasn't too bad, but it was very squishy...



Me and 2 other guys headed to Myengdong by subway after this, to go find a fish spa.  A fish spa is a place where you can put your feet / hands into the water and have little fish eat the skin or something, I'm still not too clear on what they ACTUALLY do...

It took a while to find one, but we eventually did:








It was quite a fulfilling last official day!




2 comments:

  1. I really must try a fish spa! I need softer feet!
    You did GREAT in the dance video. It is not easy to learn a dance, especially if you have never had training or a dance class before. Good job!

    If you liked the Miso performance, and live theater, wait until I take you to London!

    So I guess I can officially declare you a non picky eater. I could not have swallowed wiggly squid. ~ Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not bring myself to watch the squid-eating video. Eek. You looks like you met some really cool friends in Korea.

    ReplyDelete